top of page
  • Writer's pictureCPAs for Expats

Extensions for American Expats: Maximizing Your Time to File Taxes Overseas


As a U.S. citizen living abroad, it's essential to understand the options available to you when it comes to tax extensions as they can provide much-needed flexibility and additional time to meet your tax obligations. In this article, we will explore the various types of extensions, some only available for American expats.

Automatic Two-Month Extension

As a U.S. citizen or resident alien living abroad, you have the benefit of an automatic two-month extension to file your tax return and pay federal income tax. This extension applies if your main place of business or duty station is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or if you are serving in the military or naval service outside these areas. This means that deadline would be June 15th instead of the usual April 15th.

To take advantage of the automatic two-month extension, it is important to include a statement with your tax return that clarifies the specific qualifying situation that makes you eligible for the extension.

However, it's important to note that even with this extension, any unpaid taxes beyond the regular due date will still accrue interest.

Extension Until October 15th

In the event that you are unable to file your tax return within the initial two-month automatic extension period (June 15th), you can request an additional four-month extension by filing form 4868. This extends the filing deadline until October 15th. To secure the extra four-month extension, you must file form 4868 before the due date permitted by the automatic two-month extension.

Additional 2 Month Extension Until December 15th

Expats who were unable to have their tax returns completed by October 15th can request a additional 2-month extension of time to file their returns which would bring the deadline up to December 15th. To request this extension, you must send the IRS a letter explaining the reasons why you need the additional 2 months. Send the letter by the extended due date (usually October 15th).

Extension of time to meet residency tests

You may be eligible for a longer extension If you need additional time to meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test, which are essential for qualifying for the foreign earned income exclusion.

In order to qualify for this extension, you would need to meet the following 3 criteria:

  1. You are a U.S. citizen or resident alien

  2. Anticipate meeting either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test, but not before the original due date of your tax return

  3. Your tax home should be in a foreign country (or countries) throughout your period of bona fide residence or physical presence, depending on which applies to your situation

This extension will generally provide an additional 30 days beyond the date you can reasonably expect to qualify for the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test. This extension is requested by filing for 2350 before the (extended) due date of your return.


In summary, tax extensions play a crucial role in assisting expats with their tax obligations and ensuring a smooth process for American citizens living abroad. These extensions provide much-needed flexibility and additional time to gather necessary documentation, navigate complex tax regulations, and accurately file tax returns. By understanding the available extension options, meeting deadlines, and seeking professional guidance when necessary, expats can confidently manage their tax affairs and maintain compliance with U.S. tax laws. While extensions offer relief, it's important to prioritize timely filing and strive for accuracy to avoid penalties or complications. By staying informed and proactive, expats can effectively utilize tax extensions as a valuable tool in their expat journey.

CPAs for Expats is here to guide you every step of the way

Join the satisfied expats who trust CPAs for Expats and gain peace of mind knowing your US taxes are in capable hands. Unlock the full potential of your tax benefits by partnering with us for all your expat tax needs. Contact CPAs for Expats now and embark on a stress-free tax journey.

bottom of page